Tuesday 1 January 2013

The best way to break a promise

"Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." – Oprah Winfrey

New Year's resolutions usually reveal honorable intentions and horrible implementation. It's not a coincidence that we joke far more about breaking resolutions than we talk about making them. It seems like the best way to break a promise is to make one with your whole heart. What's the problem? Resolutions focus on you. But revolutions focus on God.

Revolutionary Statement Number One: To get an accurate view of yourself, focus on Him!

Agur, who wrote Proverbs chapter 30, gives an excellent example of this kind of focus:

"Surely I am only a brute, not a man;
I do not have human understanding.
I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I attained to the knowledge of the Holy One.
Who has gone up to heaven and come down?
Whose hands have gathered up the wind?
Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is the name of his son?
Surely you know!" – verses 2-4

The answer to all of the questions is GOD, not ME. But even the best sounding New Year's resolutions focus on what you can do rather than on what God has done and is doing. One of the favorite Christian New Year's resolutions is: I'm going to have a quiet time of prayer and Bible study every day. I'm all for that, by the way, but it sets you up for failure because the focus is on you, and not on Him. Can you see that?

A revolutionary prayer, on the other hand, would be focused on God, asking Him to reveal Himself in any way that He sees fit – through the Word, through prayer, through nature, etc. Someone who makes resolutions believes they can get closer to God by their own strength. But the heart of a godly revolutionary is honest about his ignorance and inability to understand and relate to God on his own.

Lord, I want to know You more. Deep within my soul I want to know You. In the name of Jesus, by the power of the Holy Spirit, I ask that You would stir up this desire I have to be intimate with You. I depend on You today, and every day this year, to reveal Yourself to me in any way that You choose. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment