Tuesday 27 November 2012

Never confuse motion with action!

"Never confuse motion with action." – Benjamin Franklin

Throughout Scripture and history, and even today, we come across men and women with faith that launches them into action – people who don't just know about God, they walk with Him.

John Mackay, in his A Preface to Christian Theology, illustrates two kinds of Christians: Picture a balcony on the front of a Spanish house with a road that passes below it. There are people traveling on the path below (let's call them "travelers") and another group of people are gathered above on the balcony (let's call them "balconeers").

The balconeers are mulling about, listening in, and making critical comments about the travelers below. They may discuss the twists and the turns in the road, and are quick to point out when someone stumbles. The travelers, by contrast, wrestle with real problems and ask questions like, Which way am I supposed to go? How do I do this journey anyway? How can I help my fellow traveler when he falls?

… We know that "We all possess knowledge." But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. But whoever loves God is known by God. – 1 Corinthians 8:1-3

Christian balconeers muse about knowledge, wondering, “How can there be one God yet three persons?" Or, "When is Jesus coming back?" But they are only onlookers – observers. Christian travelers are actively involved in the journey.

The traveler asks, How do I honor and love and worship this three in one God who is so powerfully moving in my life as I journey along this path? How do I allow the Spirit of Christ, who lives in me today, to guide me and live through me in a way that extends His love to others? Those are two totally different kinds of questions.

The bottom line is this: True life is a traveler's experience; not a balconeer's existence! I'm all for good theology and thinking rightly about God – it's absolutely critical. But it's not enough. Loving God and being known by Him save us from puffed-up arrogance.

God, make me a traveler. Guide me through each step of my life journey today, that I might experience You and love You more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment